2014: PhD in Anthropology, La Trobe University
Thesis title: Memories, Spaces, Identities: An Ethnographic Study of Young Ethnic Chinese in Post-Suharto Indonesia
2005: Bachelor of Arts with Honours (1st class), Monash University
2004: Bachelor of Arts & Bachelor of Commerce, Monash University
Assistant Professor of Humanities (Education), School of Social Sciences, Singapore Management University, Singapore
- Coordinator and Lecturer for the Global Asia second major program
January 2016-July 2018:
Visiting Fellow, Indonesia Studies & Regional Social and Cultural Studies Programme, ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute, Singapore
- Research project on ethnic Chinese business networks in Southeast Asia (particularly in Indonesia and the Philippines)
- Research project on China-Southeast Asia soft-power relations and the inflow of new Chinese labourers and migrants into Southeast Asia within the context of China’s rise and the 21st Century Maritime Silk Road Economic Belt strategic initiative
- Research project on trans-border economic exchanges between Johor, Singapore and the Riau Islands as a case study of the implementation of the ASEAN Economic Community
January 2014-January 2016:
Postdoctoral Fellow, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, Nanyang Technological University
- Research project entitled ‘Between Indonesia and China: Identity, Language and Transnational Connections Among Post-Suharto Chinese Indonesians.’ The research is conducted under the supervision of Prof. Liu Hong as part of the School of Humanities and Social Sciences’ ‘China and Globalisation’ research cluster
- Unit coordinator and lecturer for ‘Modernization and Nation Building in the 20th Century: A comparison between China and Indonesia,’ a fourth year history/sociology subject
- Organising committee for the 2015 Southeast Asian Studies in Asia Consortium (SEASIA) conference to be held at the Centre for Southeast Asian Studies, Kyoto University, 13-15 December 2015
January 2012-January 2014:
Researcher at the Department of Linguistics, Faculty of Human Sciences, Macquarie University
- Ethnographic data collection for the Adult Migrant Education Program Longitudinal Research Project, a three-year national research project funded by the Department of Immigration and Citizenship. The ethnography involves interviews and participant observation with newly arrived refugees and asylum seekers that have been re-settled in major Australian urban and rural centres.
Associate Lecturer at the School of Political and Social Inquiry, Monash University
- Unit coordinator and lecturer for two undergraduate subjects at the Anthropology and Communication Studies programs:
- Visualising Cultures: Film and Ethnography
- Asian Cinema
- Advisor for a Masters of Asian Studies (Indonesian Studies) research thesis on the adat (tribal/regional heritage pride) movement in the post-Suharto era.
Lead tutor at the Asian Studies program, School of Social Sciences, La Trobe University
- Assisting the unit coordinator (Dr. Dirk Tomsa) in the administration of ‘Introduction to Asia: Indonesia and Japan,’ a first year Asian Studies undergraduate subject. Also delivered tutorials on the history, politics, culture and economic development of Indonesia and Japan.
August 2009-January 2011:
Research and Project Officer, Centre for Dialogue, La Trobe University
- Manager for the Northern Interfaith/Intercultural Network (NIIN) project, an Australian Research Council-funded pilot project and research collaboration between La Trobe University’s Centre for Dialogue and the five city councils of Melbourne’s Northern region. The project looked at grassroots interfaith community dialogues in Melbourne’s Northern suburbs and data collection involved interviews and focus group discussions with community activists.
- Assisted the establishment of research collaboration between La Trobe University’s Centre for Dialogue and the State Islamic University (UIN) on the topic of religious tolerance and the state in Australia and Indonesia.
July 2008-August 2009:
Research Officer, Adult Migrant Education Program Research Centre at La Trobe University
February 2006-November 2006:
Tutor, School of English, Communication and Performance Studies, Monash University
November 2005-July 2008:
Research Assistant, School of Social Sciences, La Trobe University