Memories of Unbelonging: Collective Trauma and Chinese Identity Politics in Post-Suharto Indonesia, book manuscript in progress (under contract with University of Hawai’i Press)
Chapters in Books:
- (2015) ‘Being Chinese Again: Learning Mandarin in post-Suharto Indonesia’ in Li, W (ed.), Multilingualism in the Chinese Diaspora, London: Routledge, Chapter 9.
- (2013) ‘Chineseness, belonging, and cosmopolitan subjectivities in post-Suharto independent films’ in Hoon, C-Y. and Sai, S. (eds.), Chinese Indonesians Reassessed: History, Religion and Belonging, London: Routledge, pp. 25-36.
- (2010 with Barker, T.) ‘Membayangkan Indonesia: Produser etnis Tionghoa dan sinema pra-kemerdekaan’ (‘Imagining Indonesia: Ethnic Chinese film producers in pre-independence cinema’) in Imanjaya, E., Khoo, G-C. and Barker, T. (eds.), Mau Dibawa Kemana Sinema Kita? Beberapa wacana seputar film Indonesia (Where is Our Film Industry Headed To? Analyses of Indonesian Films), Jakarta: Binus Publishing, pp. 17-26
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- (2016) ‘”A Beautiful Bridge”: Chinese Indonesian Associations, Social Capital and Strategic Identification in a New Era of China-Indonesia Relations’. Journal of Contemporary China
- (2014, with Major, G., Terraschke, A. and Major, E.) ‘Working It Out: Migrants’ perspectives of social inclusion in the workplace’. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics, 37(3), pp. 249-261.
- (2011 with Williams, A.) ‘Visiting ‘Home’: Contacts with the homeland, self-reflexivity and emergent bilingual identities’. TESOL in Context, pp. 27-36.
- (2010 with Barker, T.) ‘Imagining ‘Indonesia’: Ethnic Chinese film producer in pre-independence cinema’. Asian Cinema: Special issue on Indonesian cinema, 21(2), pp. 11-19.
- (2008). ‘Filming Ambiguity: To be ‘Chinese’ through the eyes of young Chinese Indonesian filmmakers’. International Journal of Humanities 6(10), pp. 19-30.
- (2005). ‘Questioning Proximity: East Asian TV dramas in Indonesia’. Media Asia 32(4), pp. 31-39.
- (2012 with Piller, I., Terraschke, T. and Major, G.) Workplace Participations and Settlement Success Among Newly Arrived Migrants in Australia, Sydney: Department of Linguistics, Macquarie University
- (2011 with Michael, M. and Camilleri, J.) Building an Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue Network in Melbourne’s Northern Suburbs, Bundoora: La Trobe University’s Centre for Dialogue
- (2010 with Yates, L., Ficorilli, L., Kim, S-H., Lising, L., MacPherson, P., Taylor-Leech, K., Terraschke, A., Williams, A.) Language Training and Settlement Success: Are they related?, Sydney: AMEP Research Centre, Macquarie University
- (Forthcoming 2015) ‘Review: Ariel Heryanto’s Identity and Pleasure: The politics of Indonesian screen culture (2014)’, Asian Ethnicity.
- (2011) ‘Picturing Indonesian National Modernity, book review of Karen Strassler’s Refracted Visions: Popular photography and national modernity in Java (2010)’, Inside Indonesia 106, October-November 2011
- (2014) ‘Striving for Safety: Chinese Indonesians head to the polls’, New Mandala, 4 July 2014
- (2010) ‘Cautiously Promoting Humanism: A Chinese school tries to promote ‘universal’ humanism’, Inside Indonesia 102 (Special Issue on Multicultural Education), October-December 2010
- (2009) ‘Filming Ambiguity: Young Chinese Indonesian filmmakers examine questions of Chineseness’, Inside Indonesia 95 (Special Issue on Chinese Indonesians in the post-Suharto era), January-March 2009
- (2007) ‘Chinese Indonesian identities in the reform era’, Asia Calling broadcast for KBR68H Radio Jakarta, 18 February 2007.
- (2007) ‘Setting our priorities straight in Year of Pig’, The Jakarta Post, Saturday 17 February 2007, p. 5