Memories of Unbelonging: Collective Trauma and Chinese Identity Politics in Post-Suharto Indonesia, book manuscript in progress (under contract with University of Hawai’i Press)
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- (Under review) ‘Performing Memories: Collective Trauma in Post-Suharto Chinese Indonesian Contemporary Art’. Submitted to Memory Studies.
- (In progress) ‘An Archipelagic People: The Ethnic Chinese of the Riau Islands’. To be submitted to a special issue of the journal Asian Ethnicity.
- (2018, with Tomsa, D) ‘New Forms of Political Activism in Indonesia: Redefining the Nexus between Electoral and Movement Politics.’ Asian Survey, 58(3), pp. 557-581.
- (2017) ‘Harnessing the Potential of the Indonesian Diaspora.’ Trends in Southeast Asia,
- (2016) ‘”A Beautiful Bridge”: Chinese Indonesian Associations, Social Capital and Strategic Identification in a New Era of China-Indonesia Relations’. Journal of Contemporary China, 25(102), pp. 822-835.
- (2014, with Major, G., Terraschke, A. and Major, E.) ‘Working It Out: Migrants’ Perspectives of Social Inclusion in the Workplace’. Australian Review of Applied Linguistics, 37(3), pp. 249-261.
- (2011 with Williams, A.) ‘Visiting ‘Home’: Contacts With the Homeland, Self-Reflexivity and Emergent Bilingual Identities’. Bat, pp. 27-36.
- (2010 with Barker, T.) ‘Imagining ‘Indonesia’: Ethnic Chinese Film Producers in Pre-Independence Cinema’. Asian Cinema: Special Issue on Indonesian cinema, 21(2), pp. 11-19.
- (2008). ‘Filming Ambiguity: To be ‘Chinese’ Through the Eyes of Young Chinese Indonesian Filmmakers’. International Journal of Humanities 6(10), pp. 19-30.
- (2005). ‘Questioning Proximity: East Asian TV Dramas in Indonesia’. Media Asia 32(4), pp. 31-39.
Chapters in Books:
- (2019) ‘Anti-Chinese Sentiments and the ‘Return’ of the Pribumi Discourse’ in Fealy, G. and Ricci, R., Contentious Belonging: The Place of Minorities in Indonesia, Singapore: ISEAS Publications, pp. 192-211.
- (2015) ‘Being Chinese Again: Learning Mandarin in post-Suharto Indonesia’ in Li, W (ed.), Multilingualism in the Chinese Diaspora, London: Routledge, Chapter 9.
- (2013) ‘Chineseness, belonging, and cosmopolitan subjectivities in post-Suharto independent films’ in Hoon, C-Y. and Sai, S. (eds.), Chinese Indonesians Reassessed: History, Religion and Belonging, London: Routledge, pp. 25-36.
- (2010 with Barker, T.) ‘Membayangkan Indonesia: Produser etnis Tionghoa dan sinema pra-kemerdekaan’ (‘Imagining Indonesia: Ethnic Chinese film producers in pre-independence cinema’) in Imanjaya, E., Khoo, G-C. and Barker, T. (eds.), Mau Dibawa Kemana Sinema Kita? Beberapa wacana seputar film Indonesia (Where is Our Film Industry Headed To? Analyses of Indonesian Films), Jakarta: Binus Publishing, pp. 17-26.
Research Reports & Non-Peer Reviewed Papers:
- (2018, with Warburton, E. & Simandjuntak, D.) Indonesia’s 2018 Regional Elections: Between Local and National Politics, Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.
- (2018) Chinese Investments and Presence in the Riau Islands, Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.
- (2017) Chinese Indonesians in the Eyes of the Pribumi Public, Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.
- (2017) Ahok’s Downfall and the Rise of Islamist Populism in Indonesia, Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.
- (2017) The Jakarta Election Continues: What Next for Embattled Governor Ahok?, Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.
- (2016) Ethnic Chinese in Contemporary Indonesia: Changing Identity Politics and the Paradox of Sinification, Singapore: ISEAS-Yusof Ishak Institute.
- (2012 with Piller, I., Terraschke, T. and Major, G.) Workplace Participations and Settlement Success Among Newly Arrived Migrants in Australia, Sydney: Department of Linguistics, Macquarie University
- (2011 with Michael, M. and Camilleri, J.) Building an Interfaith and Intercultural Dialogue Network in Melbourne’s Northern Suburbs, Bundoora: Centre for Dialogue, La Trobe University.
- (2010 with Yates, L., Ficorilli, L., Kim, S-H., Lising, L., MacPherson, P., Taylor-Leech, K., Terraschke, A., Williams, A.) Language Training and Settlement Success: Are they related?, Sydney: AMEP Research Centre, Macquarie University.
- (2018) ‘Becoming better Muslims: Religious authority and ethical improvement in Aceh, Indonesia (by David Kloos) & Chinese ways of being Muslim: Negotiating ethnicity and religiosity in Indonesia (by Hew Wai Weng)’, Contemporary Southeast Asia 40(3), pp. 545-548.
- (2011) ‘Picturing Indonesian National Modernity, book review of Karen Strassler’s Refracted Visions: Popular photography and national modernity in Java (2010)’, Inside Indonesia 106, October-November 2011.
- (2018, with Hui, Y-F) ‘Indonesian regional elections not a barometer for 2019 presidential poll’, TODAY, 3 July 2018.
- (2018, with Simandjuntak, D & Warburton, E.) ‘Are Indonesia’s regional elections a barometer for 2019?’, TODAY, 22 June 2018.
- (2017) ‘Ahok’s sentence gives Islamic hardliners a boost’, TODAY, 12 May 2017.
- (2017) ‘Grounds of Islamic politics shifting rapidly in Jakarta’, TODAY, 24 April 2017.
- (2017) ‘An uphill battle for Indonesia’s ethnic Chinese Christian incumbent’, East Asia Forum, 18 April 2017.
- (2017) ‘Jakarta run-off poll a test of voter maturity — and for Jokowi, too’, TODAY, 22 February 2017
- (2017) ‘Religious freedom on trial in Indonesia’, East Asia Forum, 5 January 2017.
- (2016, with Saat, N) ‘The End for the Incumbent Governor?’ Today, 22 November 2016.
- (2016) ‘Big Party Politics and Discontent of Urban Poor Behind Jakarta Unrest’, The Straits Times, 8 November 2016.
- (2014) ‘Striving for Safety: Chinese Indonesians head to the polls’, New Mandala, 4 July 2014.
- (2010) ‘Cautiously Promoting Humanism: A Chinese school tries to promote ‘universal’ humanism’, Inside Indonesia 102 (Special Issue on Multicultural Education), October-December 2010.
- (2009) ‘Filming Ambiguity: Young Chinese Indonesian filmmakers examine questions of Chineseness’, Inside Indonesia 95 (Special Issue on Chinese Indonesians in the post-Suharto era), January-March 2009
- (2007) ‘Setting our priorities straight in Year of Pig’, The Jakarta Post, Saturday 17 February 2007, p. 5.